Curbside Garbage Collection Program
The Village provides comprehensive garbage and yard waste collection services, as well as a series of special programs to residential properties. Charges are billed to the resident’s quarterly Village utility statement.
Note that the Village is currently analyzing our Garbage Collection Program. Learn about the analysis and how to give feedback here.
- Garbage must be out for collection no later than 7 a.m. Returns for missed collection may be subject to a $25 late fee if you did not have garbage out on time.
- Please do not put garbage out at the curb more than 24 hours in advance of your regular schedule or special pick up time.
- Household garbage must be placed in plastic or paper bags and stored in leak-proof metal or plastic containers. Loose garbage will not be collected. Broken glass must be wrapped, labeled and placed in a separate container.
- Residents can choose from a wheeled cart purchased from the Village (35-, 65- or 95- gallon in size) or no larger than a 44-gallon container with handles for lifting and tight fitting covers (maximum of 4). Wheeled carts purchased from the Village must be placed at the curb.
- Independently purchased 44-gallon containers can be placed at the curb or out in the open at the top of driveway. 44-gallon containers will not be collected if they are in a gated area or enclosed structure. Village crews are not permitted to enter homes, garages, porches or other private property structures to collect garbage.
- The Village will not collect building materials such as concrete, dirt, stone, brick, floor tile, roofing, shingles or lumber.
- If your refuse is loose in the can, if access is blocked or if snow and ice are not cleared from driveways and walks, Village crews may leave an orange notice stating the reason your garbage was not collected.
- Once a Week Back Door Collection - Residents provide their own container that is no larger than 44-gallons. Limit of four containers.
- Once a Week Curbside Collection - Residents purchase a 35-, 65- or 95-gallon garbage cart from the Village. Cart prices are as follows: $53 for 35-gallon, $58 for 65-gallon or $63 for 95-gallon. Limit of two containers.
- Twice a Week Back Door Collection or Curbside Collection - Residents provide their own container or purchase standard containers (listed above). Limit of four 44-gallon containers for Back Door Collection, limit of two Village carts per pick-up.
To schedule special pick-up call (847) 835-4134
- The Village provides special pick-up service starting at $40 for the first cubic yard and $12 for each additional yard. Special pick-up is for anything other than your regular household waste (furniture, appliances, boxes, etc.) but does not include hazardous waste (paint, gas, chemicals, etc.) or building material (wood, lumber, drywall, etc.). All special collection materials must be brought to the curb. 24 hour minimum notice is required. Pick-ups are scheduled Tuesday through Friday.
- A supplemental pick-up can be scheduled due to an event generating additional regular household garbage. The cost for a supplemental pick-up is $25 and can be scheduled Monday through Friday. Residents are permitted to fill the same number of garbage containers as once a week pickup.
Community Portal Collection Day Look-Up | View Printable Collection Map
The Village is divided into four zones for primary garbage and recycling collection. Primary collection days are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Should you choose to have twice-weekly collection, your second collection day is as follows:
- Monday Primary - Thursday second day collection
- Tuesday Primary - Friday second day collection
- Thursday Primary - Monday second day collection
- Friday Primary - Tuesday second day collection
When a holiday falls on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, your regular garbage and recycling services will resume one day later than normal (i.e. if New Year's Day is on Monday, Monday collection will be Tuesday and Tuesday collection will be Wednesday, with regular service resuming on Thursday). The Village observes the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Yard Waste Collection
Annal Yard Waste Collection Subscription Form
Yard waste subscribers may place up to four cans, bags or bundles of landscape waste material at the curb each week on Wednesdays from mid-April through mid-December. The non-refundable annual subscription fee of $126 is included on your quarterly Village utility bill and does not require yard waste stickers. To subscribe submit the above form or contact the Finance Department at (847) 835-4113.
Residents not subscribing to the annual yard waste collection subscription service, must affix stickers to each biodegradable paper yard waste bag, garbage can no larger than 44-gallons, or bundle of branches/brush. Stickers may be purchased at the Village Hall or Grand Food Center. Yard waste is collected on Wednesdays beginning mid-April through mid-December.
Special Collection Programs
Each year between mid-October and the end of November, the Village collects loose leaf piles placed at the parkway along the back of curb. This service is made possible through a disposal agreement with the Chicago Botanic Garden (CBG). The CBG takes all leaf material collected in Glencoe free of charge, mulches the material on-site and uses it to fertilize planting beds.
Holiday Tree Collection
On Wednesdays during the month of January, the Village will pick-up holiday trees at no cost. Remove all lights, ornaments and garland and place tree at the parkway behind the curb.
2017 Clean-Up Day Details
The Village provides, at no charge, an annual one-day collection of large quantities of household garbage in mid-May. Clean-up days are an opportunity for residents to dispose of items that are not generally included in garbage collection such as furniture, appliances, boxes and tires. However, hazardous waste (paint, gas, chemicals, etc.), building materials (wood, lumber, drywall, etc.) and landscape waste (trees, branches, logs, leaves, etc.) are not included in this program.
Disposing of Paint
Oil-based paint cannot be disposed of with your regular garbage or during Spring Clean-Up. Latex paint can be disposed of with regular trash or during Spring Clean-Up because it is a non-toxic, water-based paint. You will need to add an absorbent material such as shredded newspapers, kitty litter, sawdust, or waste paint hardener to your latex paint and let it dry out completely in a well-ventilated area and away from children and pets. Once it is dry, put the container with your garbage with the lid off.
Click here to learn more about how to dispose of items not accepted with your regular garbarge service or with Spring Clean-Up.